Originally Posted by 383man
I loved racing my four speed Dart in the late 70's and early 80's. I used the Hurst Super Shifter with the T handle and I could bang some gears with that setup. It was a 340 Dart running low 12's and high 11's. But I broke a lot more parts on that car then I have on my 10 second 63 with the Auto as I always put the go pedal on the floor as the clutch came out. So for a guy on a budget like me the auto is much easier on the drivetrain but I still love stick shift race cars and would love to drive one again. Ron

It's always hard to argue with someone against their own personal experience, especially when that experience has been reinforced by countless others over the years. I myself have had that same experience from back in the day and can understand where you are coming from. But that said, the above is only true when one doesn't know any better. A little clutch hit control goes a long ways. If you had become aware of it back in the day, I think you would likely be racing a stick shift car right now.

Grant