Originally Posted by madscientist
Originally Posted by dvw
I'd love to do it. But the cost to put a reliable stick in a 900hp 3350 lb car is well beyond my budget.
Doug

A powerglide and a spare (at least although I know someone will come along and say they have used the same PG for a decade and never changed the oil but I know racers lie) at least 3 converters to get it right, and then a converter and two good spares, a quality cooler and all the associated crap and the automatic isn't cheaper. The stick isn't as simple to tune or drive as a pop up toaster. But it certainly isn't any more expensive when you finally learn the clutch builders are liars. And they are still lying for the most part.

I have one push button 727, one converter. $1100 in the converter, $250 in upgrades. About $1100 in the trans as well. no spare. I have parts to build one but it has only stranded me once in 550 passes. That was a design flaw in an aftermarket part which I redesigned. I couldn't even buy a clutch, flywheel, and bell housing for that kind of money. Now if someone would like to sponsor me I'm all over it.
Doug