Originally Posted by madscientist
Originally Posted by gregcharger72
i did look into the drill motor rating and it is 3000 rpm. i doubt it is turning that fast loaded by the oil pump but even at half that rating say, 1500 rpm , that is 3000 rpm engine speed. and to only 40 psi with cold oil concerns me. just looking for a response from someone with experience using or trying a standard type pump. btw the machine shop told me to run it with the standard pump and see what i have. that makes me uncomfortable.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. That drill isn't turning the oil pump at 1500 RPM's. If it was, that's a 750 RPM idle and that's lower than I let anything idle with other than stock springs.

You will never duplicate with a drill and a static engine what happens dynamically when the engine is running.

Run it. I think pull be surprised.

If the drill is running the pump at 1500 rpm then that is the same as the engine running at 3000 rpm. The pump runs at cam speed or 1/2 of crank speed. In that case, 40 psi at 3000 rpm is pretty low. Having said that, I don't know what speed his drill is actually running at but 40 psi for cold oil is pretty low. I can usually get more than that with a speed wrench.