I like the mini tub, ladderbar combo, combined with a coilover shock and rack combo up front to provide the extra room for working on the motor. If i ever build another chassis, i would look into a Mustang 2 style front end, since they are available from a number of sources, and universal fit. My other option would be a strut front from Strange. These options might sound spendy till you add up the cost of going through the stock front end, and adding disc brakes, plus converting to a 4.5 bolt circle up front. And every last extra $$ spent on the strut upgrade would most likely show up in resale value. A mild steel cage would accommodate the strut or M2 style front, and allow you to modify the firewall for some engine setback which will help consistancy. Oil pan options are much better too. I would put the 440 block up for sale and start with a 400 based 512 cube combo. The wider header options may save $$ over what a stock front would require, so figure that in when calculating the front suspension and cage cost.
Have the pistons cut for 2.25 /1.81 valve sizes and deep enough to accommodate a 440-1 head cut to 60 cc, and equiped with a BIG roller cam in mind. That way you can start with whatever budget allows for heads, but can upgrade to a head capable of 9.0s without having to change the shortblock.

Last edited by gregsdart; 04/06/19 03:47 PM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky