Originally Posted by RV2
Originally Posted by GY3
750 Holley 3310. They come with 72 jets in the primary which is about perfect. Put the softest spring in the secondaries and you are golden. I've always used this on mild 440's, had great drivability, power and even mileage.

^^^^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^

Have you guys ever had a 3310 on a wide band? They are way fat on the cruise. They need at least 4 main jet steps down to start to get close to a clean cruise. Then the PVCRs need drilled open to correct the WOT, then the secondary spring needs changed. Then the power valve is usually late and needs changed. The 3310 is a good carb, but it is a very old, universal economy carb, which is the primary reason you see so many of them. Heck, I have had many of them myself over the years and for a long time was my go-to carb. It certainly was a better choice than the CarterBrocks for many reasons.

Many guys like the 3310 and Double Pumpers because they are too fat. Our engines are much more tolerant of an over-rich condition than they are of even a slightly lean condition. The slightly lean tune is what gets the CarterBrocks their well deserved reputation for stumbles, hesitations, and stalls. With the CarterBrocks, the only fix is drill bits and a good understanding of their boosters. The 3310s and DPs are too fat, but drive well with no off idle problems. So since there are no noticeable transition issues, guys feel that they are tuned good. But they are way too fat. Period.

Why buy a carb that needs that much attention? It makes more sense to me to get a carb with the modern features and tune that is closer to what our engines need so that they need less modifications/tuning. There are simply better choices for our street cars available today than the old 3310s and DPs. Holley has track tunes in the DPs and they work good there which is why when you read the Holley literature they are listed as track carbs. Holley has carbs with street tunes that are better suited to mild street engines.

It is one thing for someone to say that they bought this carb or that carb and it didn't have any operational issues on their car. But is something different to recommend old out-of-date carbs when they haven't seen them on wide bands to really know what is going on with them other than they didn't exhibit any driveability issues. And then there is the issue that the recommendation comes with the fact that there is little or no experience with the newer model carbs to compare.

Do a little research on the Street Demon's design. They have features that the others do not. Features that have real benefits on our street cars. And their tune is really, really close for our cars. So far, they have been close enough, that I haven't felt the need to change the tune. Simply put; they are closer out-of-box for our cars than any other carb I have ever installed.

Now I have not had the opportunity to try one of the new AVS2s so I can't comment on that one. But there are 2 reasons I don't particularly care for the CarterBrocks. First, they are a pain to tune, you have to drill the boosters to get the transitions right, you need a box of rods, and have you seen the tuning chart for those things? And second, parts are much more difficult to come by, unlike their Holley counterparts.

Right now, on mild street engines it is the Street Demon for the win.

Master, again and still