Another special paint consideration I have never seen discussed in this forum is: what will the backsides of parts bolted to the body shell be painted?

One example is the battery tray and brace. If they are painted while bolted to the inner fender, the backsides will receive no paint. And the part of the inner fender covered by the tray and brace won't get painted either. A solution is to paint the tray and brace all over while loose and bolt to the painted inner fender with painted fasteners. Or paint the parts all over while loose and again while bolted on.

A similar situation is the backsides of grille sheet metal panels. These backsides were coated with dip primer at the factory. For restoration painting, something better than primer would be preferable, such as a primer followed by a top coat that looks like factory dip primer before bolting on the car.

In the case of the hood hinges, the factory hand painted the hinge/hood interfaces with green zinc chromate paint. This green zinc chromate may have also been hand painted on the interfaces of some grille sheet metal parts, such as the yoke cross member, before it was bolted on. (I stripped all paint off this part before I knew to look for factory hand paint.)

Photo shows hood hinge painted body color F5 Limelight Metallic Green. The darker green on the bolt joint interface is factory hand painted zinc chromate.

23-6 Hood.L hinge3 darker green is hand brushed primer.jpg07-1 grille.sheet metal assembly.jpg

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.