Dogdays that is super interesting. I’m learning a ton about all this stuff which is great even if I never do a 4 link I love learning about all this stuff. I have trouble visualizing how the GM style stock 4 link suspensions articulate without binding- the ones with shorter angled top bars. Obviously they work because they made millions of em!

Last night I pulled the dakota axle, shocks, & springs out from under the chassis and started mocking up the 9.25 with xhd dart springs. Man those lower shackle bolts were siezed! The first one I wrestled with a three foot breaker bar trying to spin it out for 30 mins before getting out the hot wrench.

With the suspension removed I found a couple obstacles to overcome- the dart spring is 1” shorter than the dakota spring and it also has it’s centering pin 4” closer to the front eye. I loved that short front segment on the dart it really makes sense for a bunch of reasons.

Luckily I am already changing the leaf mounting position. It looks like if I flip the front hangers, move them up and back around an inch, and drill a 1.5” offset hole in my perches and u-bolt plates to let the axle sit just behind the spring’s centering pin, that my wheels should sit in my tubs just right.

Now I just have to figure out how much allowance I’m going to give the springs to compress with the weight of the truck sitting on them and how much shackle angle I want which will change when it is set down too. I’m thinking probably around 1” but I’ll have to tack it up and see how it acts- it doesn’t help that the driveline and bed won’t be on there. I think if I set it up with no rake as a rolling chassis then installing the driveline will give me the slight rake I’m looking for, even with the mild engine setback I’m planning. I’d rather err on the side of too low- adding a slightly longer shackle is easy but there isn’t really room for a shorter one.

My buddy offered me some ipe wood (brazilian walnut) to do the bed floor. At first I was thinking why would I use one of the densest heaviest woods you can find? Then a puff of steam came out of my ears and I started thinking it might be a great looking and long lasting option that’ll also give me that ‘bags of salt over the axle for snow traction’ effect. 102.5” wheelbase is going to be fun! I’m thinking about Streetwise’s 408 rocky truck but much lower and more torque, probably similar or less HP, and maybe heavier. These trucks came in around 3000lbs but with the dakota chassis and big block who knows? I have an aluminum radiator, top end, master cyl, lighter wheels and tires, 290lb driver haha lotta variables!

I have work today- tomorrow is wrenching day. I have trouble posting pics here since photobucket died but I have a lot of pics in my build thread here:
http://p15-d24.com/topic/47345-512-cid-c-series-on-dakota-chassis-build-thread/

Thanks for all the feedback fellas wish me luck!

Last edited by radar; 07/24/18 11:46 AM. Reason: Typo