Originally Posted By Charger446
It was making a similar noise with the 1.6 roller rockers, but it seems worse with the stock ones in.

I didnt check the preload with the stamped rockers, just torqued the bolts down to spec.

On the roller rockers, I set them initially at 1/2 turn after having what I thought was zero lash, then i adjusted them a 1/4 turn at a time, the noise didnt get better or worse, then I just swapped them out for the stockers. That is as far as I got.

I figured the stock rockers would take the variable of the adjustable roller rockers out.

It is not like setting valve lash on a hydraulic cam. You set them once and forget about them for ever. The number of turns is different for each valve, they will not be all the same turns. And once set on a hydraulic cam you should not adjust them while the motor is running, sure way to get them wrong.

This is where I read you just bolted them on without checking pre load.

I can be 99% sure the pre load was wrong.

Also I called Edlebrock when installed my heads and was told to use 1.5 rockers. So I sold my 1.6 and got 1.5 rockers. 1.5 ensures push rod clearance and acceptable geometry for novice builders like you and me.

Both my motors have proven durable during 11 years of beating them. My 340 has been beat to heck out at Bonneville all 4 times I have had the car out just messing around. Every drive your car for miles and miles at near wide open throttle. I have and I could not hold it at wide open throttle because it would over rev. I have many hi performance miles on them and the valve pre load is good and I have never adjusted it since I built the motor. I use Crane gold rockers on both motors.