I feel like amateur hour over here... After the car sat in the garage over the winter I discovered the passenger side rear wheel cylinder was leaking. I popped the drum off to discover the shoes had been reduced to sludge in addition to the cable that holds the adjuster lock was snapped. I got new shoes, a new cable and a new cylinder while reusing the rest after soaking it gas overnight (was just the springs anyhow).

I got it all back together, bleed the one side and off I went. Now, I didn't replace the shoes on the driver's side as they're basically new. I Figured drums are self adjusting, so there was nothing to worry about.

After the test ride the passenger rear was smoking. Obliviously the shoes were stuck engaging the drum. Once it cooled though the drum slid right off with no effort. Dumb founded I ran the adjuster all the way in, slid the drum back on and took it out again - same result. So I pulled it apart again expecting to see the adjuster at least a few turns out and it was still all the way in. [ Moparts Family Site - Keep it Friendly ] am I doing wrong? I've reassembled drums countless times and never experienced this.

The drum smokes every time I take it out, but when I take it apart there is no resistance to taking it apart.

I only dissembled the problem side and only bled the this one side. Pedal feel is normal and car stops OK otherwise.

Does anything look out of place to you guys in these photos?

I've got a car show I'm going to in the morning and I need to figure this out. I'm completely stumped...

20180526_164948.jpg20180526_164958.jpg20180526_165016.jpg20180526_165026.jpg
Last edited by MarkM; 05/26/18 07:38 PM.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60