Originally Posted By @#$%&*!
Some people, in an effort to have the lightest possible car, make the rear axle as narrow as possible. This requires a minimal wheel backspace and results in a lot of bending stress on the axles. It would be possible to have near zero bending stress in the axle by having the axle bearing centered in the tire tread. I usually just put the axle flange near the center of the tread and run a centered wheel. This results in a bending moment of about 2.5", which isn't much. If you're running a wide tire and small backspace wheel you'd better keep an eye on it.
As far as the housing goes, the same physics apply but the distance from the suspension mounts to the axle bearing is what counts.
twocents

I understand and agree w/ your post, but in this particular case, that's not an issue. My car has a factory width E body Dana 60, 15x8.5" wheels w/ 5" of backspacing, and the leaf springs are only moved over about .750" from the factory location due to offset rear shackles. While it is a wide rearend, the attachment points are close to the tire.

Most likely what I'll be doing is getting a new pair of 35 spline axles and go at it again. Unless the housing itself is bent, then I'll need to regroup and make plans to get a serious 9" under the car.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax