Originally Posted By L.R Helbling
Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
That car didn't come with a Carter carb, and it came with a stove pipe heated intake system, end of story, get over it. The stove pipe was not an option, all cars except Air Grabber cars got it. Didn't you say it had a Edelbrock carb on it now? So, why all of the back and forth when it doesn't even have a Carter carb on it to start with?

I guess because I'm trying to understand how the Carter came to be installed on my car. There's a story behind that and I'd like to know what it is.

Another thread and quote

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1279397/1.html

My friend who worked at a Plymouth dealership in 1971 said they repeatedly replaced the Holley's with a "conversion kit" 71 AVS 6125S. If you have an air conditioner engine carb, it has the hot idle compensator bar in it as well. Maybe Air Grabbers as well. I think that's what its called.

Another quote

I will provide further first hand back-up of the existence of factory provided Carter conversion kits for the Holley 4160 applications, performed the conversion many times myself during my time at dealers back then. They were packaged as complete kits, fuel lines, choke springs, any other hardware required, fully covered if under warranty. Installed correctly, appeared completely factory installed. Can�t tell you just how many 4160�s wound up in the trash, considered pure junk then by those who serviced them and many under hood fires were blamed directly on them.

Anyways

My 71 Superbee , I bought from the original owner in 1984

When I spun a rod bearing on the vin numbers matching block I pulled the motor for a 440 at the time

The factory intake and Carter 6125s that was on the 383 Magnum are up in the garage attic

I remember back in the day pulling the factory motor and how everything was covered in undercoating including the underside of hood and wiring . Valve covers , factory dual snorkel air cleaner , intake and even carb had undercoating on it . Why is that significant, because the original Ziebart sticker is still in the corner of the rear window along with some of those hole plugs in the door jambs . Car of course has been repainted but I always kept the Zeibart sticker back there . Original owner told me he had brought it to Ziebart shortly after owning it

Broadcast sheet shows Carb number for Holley

Thanx Scott

Last edited by bee1971; 05/21/17 06:45 PM.

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
2011 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab Deep Water Blue Loaded
Siberian Huskies