Originally Posted By 72roadrunnergtx
"general rules that describe what carb goes into what engine/tranny combo are found in the FSM"

The factory service manuals do not define “rules” as what engine/trans combo is used in what body line. As already posted in the wing nut thread, the FSM only provides information about processes and specifications necessary to service and maintain the various vehicle components, arranged by component groupings, or systems, and covering the FSM’s brand (Dodge or Chrysler/Plymouth FSM) full body line. The factory parts catalogs sole function is to accurately define factory replacement part numbers based on the original part applications. In this case, once the correct carline code is understood and applied, the ’71 parts catalog clearly shows the 6125S was used on a 383 variant used for C-bodies only and all B&E body 383HP applications having Holleys originally. Any third-party documentation that counters this, or fails to show any Holleys, is just wrong.

It's highly likely my car came with a heated air intake. Both the parts book AND the FSM corroborate this. If so, I'm convinced that the OE carb on my car was a Holley variant mentioned in the pic I posted 400 posts ago. If people here spent more time properly explaining things with proof and reasoning instead of bashing and character assassination, and forced opinions, convincing would come far faster with much less frustration on everyone's part. You and about 4 others were helpful in convincing me on this this. The others; not so much.

That's part 1. Part 2 doesn't explain how a factory carb (Carter AVS) came to sit on my intake all those years ago. If the Holleys were cheap, leaky and unreliable as others have suggested, why wouldn't the former owner replace it with an aftermarket carb? Is this perhaps evidence of a dealership warranty program that existed for faulty Holleys?