Originally Posted By AndyF

the further away from Portland you get the more normal people are. Portland is full of freaks and I have zero interest of venturing into Portland with a classic car.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Is that your way of calling me out, Andy? stirthepot
It's a fact that most people live in cities, particularly big cities. That then means that the city dwellers are more normal, statistically speaking, than those who live elsewhere.
I get no flack for driving my Dart Sport around Portland, just lots of compliments even though I consider it a pos compared to the rest of the fleet. You've just gotta keep in mind that modern vehicles are more nimble and steer and brake better than your old dinosaur.
Wandering back on-on topic, I think having the gas-pump jockeys usually speeds up the process and they never give me any trouble if I want to do something myself. Most are juggling 4 pumps, keeping track of how much is going into each and predicting when they'll be done so they can get the nozzle out and get the line moving. I often hang up the nozzle myself because I'm right there and always get thanked for it.

Originally Posted By elmor353
I have to agree with AndyF, I live in the Salem/Keizer area and wouldn't even think of venturing to Portland with a classic vehicle. People are screwy in Portland. Good thing our dragstrip isn't up there!

Oh, but it is! The address to "our" dragstrip is over there <<<---- somewhere scope
Portland International Raceway is a publicly owned dragstrip, road course, moto-x, multi-purpose facility where you can find drag racing under the lights 3 nights a week all summer long: http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/pirbrackets/schedule/2017_2.7schedule.pdf If you prefer standing in the hot sun all day by all means head to Sunburn Dragstrip. But if you prefer racing in the cool evening air blowing up the Columbia River..bring a jacket, no sunblock needed.
If that isn't enough, every Wednesday from June through September the price of admission also gets you into one of the biggest cruise-ins around and there's usually a live band (that sucks). Watch some bracket racing, wander through the hundreds of old cars and other 'special interest' vehicles, show off your car, whatever. I usually park my tow rig where I can watch the cruise in traffic as they come in and leave. It's like the tide: a long steady stream of old cars coming in, then a slack period (not always) and then a long parade of old iron on the way out. Yes, in Portland, where that HUGE automotive swap meet is every 6 months or so.