Originally Posted By Secret Chimp
So in a fine turn of events, I'm relocating from Warshington to central Oregon in a few weeks. As you may know, Oregonians can't pump their own gas and no exceptions for weird cars.

The filler on my 67 Coronet wagon has always been unkind to full-flow fills – if I don't hang the nozzle half out of the opening it will back up the filler tube or spash back out of the hole.

The vent tubes work - you can see gas come out of them and squirt back down the filler as the tank starts getting full, but they can't keep up. This is a non-emissions car so I only have the tank-to-filler vents, no engine-side fuel vapor stuff.

Is there later-model hardware or some modification I can do to get the car just take full flow from a modern pump without backing up the tube? I can't take the car to a place where they just lock the pump open and walk away, I will dump gallons down the side of the car...

This is what I would do but you'll have to remove the fuel tank.

If you can get your hand and arm inside the tank from the sending unit drill a hole in the top of the tank. Use a -10AN bulkhead fitting and run some -10 hose or 1/2" aluminum fuel line up into the fender or higher if you can and bend it over to form a J. If you can't get into the tank to reach the top then have a bung welded to it.

You should be able to fill it as fast as the pump will go then.

I did this to the plastic tank on my 1st Gen CTD and now I can fill it all the way up to the top of the filler without a problem.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.