Okay... three hours later, and enough burned out links to shut my eyes down, i've actually found some interesting options. This began with TC@HP@'s Avon suggestion...

Goodyear 'Billboard's.
Goodyear 'Blue Streaks'.

Both are Cobra tires, but the rears are around 295/50-15 size. Non-DOT, but treaded and many guys ARE using them on the street. The Blue Streaks are supposedly THE best handling dry tire you can get without going to a racing slick. 9/10, but utterly useless in the wet (the tread stipes have been described as "chicken-scratch"). The Billboards look a lot more like a street tire... reminiscent ov the old MT ET Streets. They aren't as hot in the dry, but apparently work well in the wet. 7/10 and 8/10 (if that makes sense). They are a bias tire, so they're light too... though perhaps not the best for punctures. They'll flat-spot if they sit (takes a few miles to round 'em back out), and the Billboards are notorious for throwing rocks. Both ov these run around $300US, the Blue Streaks a little more.

Hoosier makes a 275/50-15 Z-rated radial, DOT-approved, that apparently handle very well in the dry, but bad in the wet. They also make a 26.5/9.5-15 in bias, non-DOT (oddly, just this one size though, the smaller sizes are DOT?). Good dry, bad wet, the radials are very sticky. Radials a little over $300, the bias quite a bit cheaper... $230ish. They also come in 275/60-15 bias, and other sizes (like 245/50ZR15 radial).

Dunlop makes 'Post Historic' tires for the Cobra too. 26", 27" and 28" with 9.5 to 11.6 section width. Non-DOT. Bias i'd presume.

Avon makes a 275/55 and a 295/50 VR 15, DOT radials, '8/10' handling dry, '7/10' wet. But holy [censored] expensive...

Some places will also cut slicks (hand groove) in various tread patterns... 'vintage to modern look'. Awesome dry performance, but zero in the wet. Expensive as hell too.

Also read many reviews on the Marauder S1... apparently utter garbage or awesome, depending on who you talk to. All reviews remark on the extreme road noise however. VERY loud tires... it would seem. They ARE a truck tire though... and this alone is a red flag for me... i wonder how heavy they are. Otherwise, they actually seem a decent option... for the price... IF you can find 'em.

MT makes a hot rod tire, in H-rating, in some nice wide 15" sizes... and a 'fairly low' treadwear rating. I'd think you could equate that to stickier... but i couldn't find anyone driving on them that actually tries to go fast around corners.

SOOOO... quite a few decent options. Some legal, some not.

Hmmm... . . .