Thanks for the info Gene. I didn't know about the difference in say, 100 vs 150. I always thought that they went to the latter number to change things up a bit. You know, mostly for sales gimmicks. Anyway, I knew about the whole "light duty D250s" and such, because my Dad had an '86 D250 with the "light duty" front axle. We discovered this the hard way, while trying to replace a blown wheel bearing on the side of the road. And we also learned about many other one year only things that the '86 came with. Which is kinda why I was inquiring. So maybe I should phrase the question this way; If you were going to swap out the front suspension from 1/2 to 3/4 ton on this '72 chassis, what year of truck would you take it from?

If the question pops up of light vs heavy duty, I imagine that light duty will be fine. I don't currently haul anything that I feel I'd need a high load capacity, nor do I foresee that in the future. The step up is mainly for using the truck to tow a travel trailer, and maybe carry around extra camping gear like firewood, bicycles, etc. Larger steering joints and bearings for the added stresses, and larger brakes for obvious reasons. At first I'll be running a 360, but a stroked 440 is possible in the future. Mainly because I really want to build one and I really don't have anything else to put it in.

Another reason why I want to swap this stuff is because I need new rotors and such, and I don't even know what they're from. I went to service the bearings years ago and found out that someone had swapped the whole spindle and brake assembly from an unknown vehicle, TO the donor chassis. And the Hollander only shows Dodge van for the interchange. Anyway, I want to get this thing going for my 84 year old Dad to knock around in until he can't drive himself anymore. Then..., in comes the stroker! up

Thanks again.

25 Dodge Roadster
66 D100 440/727 (on 72 D100 chassis)
67 W200 360/727
72 IH TravelAll 1110 4x4 345/727/NP205
76 Scout 2 360/727/D20
'08 Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4wd 4.7L