Originally Posted By dvw
At least the mains stayed intact. Was this block sonic checked?
Doug

Doug, No we did not bother. It was just a "sterter" deal for the kid. Was my motor for my 68 D100 But you know how it is..

"Hey look 8.80's from a street motor cool"

"has to be more in it"

"cool .70's...60's... still has to be more"

"nice now we are getting somewhere 50's, 40's"

"lets try a new converter 30's 20's"

"Uh oh" (actually not quite those words. The actual reply was caught on video and is on facebook from someone else video of the car behind us smile

And now the rest of the story. I just cannot leave stuff alone. Never changed anything inside the engine at all. It was me trying to eek out whatever was in there. Couple converters, different launch RPM, shock and 4 link stuff some carb tweaking to get it in the .20's here in Vegas. It ran well for not much for sure, .28 at 161 with a 1.12 60' best. Yes in a dragster but still considering it was mostly stockish shortblock stuff we had around, which was his budget it was doing good. The cylinder walls are quite thin on a non thrust side to be sure. Easy to see now smile

In the end stock production parts are not created equal. Had we been concerned with the block for a build trying to make more power we would have done more due diligence. Or likely used an aftermarket block. This was never intended to be the be all end all for him. Just an engine to let him run a couple years get his feet wet and learn the lessons of racing Super Pro. I did not want him going 7.50's to start with. Still not sure I am ready for that, although he thinks he is. All I have available will get him there or better likely. So we are weighing options at this point. Just wish I had a plug and play option for now as he will likely miss the MATS here in Vegas as well as next couple bracket races.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"