Originally Posted By Morty426
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By Morty426
How do body shops put these things together without checking trim and other panels for fit?

That's the difference in finding a shop that knows what it's doing, I usually make the customer a bit perturbed on my constant requests for trim, glass, emblems, panels, etc, etc that I want to test fit, that will be used or changed out during the restoration build, I put enough effort into building, bodyworking, blocking for weeks on end on primer, paint, colorsanding clearcoats, that the last thing I need is panels/components, trim,glass or emblems that don't fit, plus having to modify or redo work already done!

Mike

Mike,

Sorry but if your customers are perturbed by that they must be idiots. I checked everything on my car before it went to paint. I just don't understand not doing this.

Thanks
Chris

Most customers have no clue when it comes to a restoration, they'll ship a car around the country from one vendor to another, with no clue as to what should have been done initially, a vehicle will arrive with a painted engine compartment, an a detailed driveline installed, or a new interior installed, yet they want qtrs cut off and replaced, along with other major body/paint bodywork...

Tell the customer to include any trim/glass or panels that are going to be installed to ship them with the car, you usually get "why?", then you have to explain the reason "why", is to assure that these parts will fit after body/paint, of course the car shows up without the part(s), you contact the customer, only to hear, "it'll be all right, I'm sure the parts will fit"...you know what happens later, basically what this thread is about

I've experienced all the vendor/bodyshop horror stories from the proprietors end over the decades, one of the reasons you learn everything from A to Z when it comes to restoring a vehicle

Mike