Guys, in my attempts to help answer questions, see my responses below.

Hey team,, I anteed up the nearly $900 bucks for the borgeson box for my 70 Coronet. (about a year ago)...

I have a couple of issues that I can't seem to fix.
I was wondering if any one else has experienced this..
or, might be able to help....

First, When ever I turn the wheel either left or right no matter how far,
I hear a hiss inside the cabin from the drivers seat. It sounds like the type of "sound"
you would expect if the car was turned all the way left or all the way right.
I get it no matter what...For $900 I think it sucks!

if you get out of the car while its idling and open the hood
and lean inside close to the box you can hear the same sound
So it's definitely coming from the box.

A couple of notes:
a) I replaced the floor pan seal when I installed the new box.
with a new gasket from DMT...
b) I have made absolutely sure that the steering box was
centered before installing the column and coupling.
c) The car has been aligned and goes straight down the road
steering wheel is straight, car tracks very nice
d) The steering wheel seems to return to center just fine..
e) I use power steering fluid not auto trans fluid.
f) the power steering pump is at the full mark on the cap (hot)
with no bubbles. The box/pump was bled according to the instructions..
no foaming etc...

FWIW One major difference from the borgeson box vs the stock box is the
angle of the steering shaft going into the coupling.
This is a pronounced angle vs stock...but...."works"...

The new box is narrower than the original box. If the box is shimmed straight it still would not align with the column. The shafts would be parallel but offset. The angle was done on purpose. The original coupler can take up the angle as the original boxes weren't a 100% straight in all applications.

Do any of you shim the box to straighten this out?
If so exactly what do you use (where can I get these "shims")

Is this the cause (angle difference) of the noise being transmitted into the cabin?

JERRY, the hiss as we spoke does come from the box. I have heard this before only a couple times, but not as pronounced as yours. Since the OE application for this box did not use a Saginaw pump, it is possible that even with the Borgeson suggested pump there is a mismatch in the valving that creates the noise. Mopar even had this problem on new trucks and it was mitigated by an updated pressure hose. It is even possible the gates pressure hose I use could have a slightly smaller ID than other brands. As you mentioned this is a noise only that doesn't affect function. I'm suspect on some boxes there is a back up of fluid in the control valve of the box due to manufacturing tolerances causing noise only on a select few. I've offered to replace the box or refund $$ of the complete setup.

Second..
Despite the steering box being centered and the car aligning straight
and tracking straight etc... I have one "anomaly" that I can't figure out.

The steering wheel turns 1 and 1/2 turns to the right (from center) but 2 full turns to the left.
At first glance it would seem that the car is a quarter turn (from steering wheel) to far to the right.

But when I drive the steering wheel returns to center fine. The steering wheel does not over correct left etc...
Let me reiterate the the box was centered before installing the coupling/column.

I am using a new MOOG pitman arm (courtesy of Rich E'berg)
that has 4 "indexes" on it (90 degrees apart) which fits perfectly on the shaft of the box. Because of
the 4 index arrangement it's not possible to be off by a tooth or two. From underneath the car you are
either square or off noticeably either left or right....

Does anyone else notice this? Is this normal? What am I missing..

[i]This is normal and due to the way the sector shaft is manufactured. It seems it can turn slightly more to one side. The turning radius is fine, but not an issue. [/i]

If the box is centered straight and the pitman arm is installed correctly how would I fix this?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks for the ad

Hope this helps!

Not one phone call, email or text to me in this regard except from the OP.[i]
[/i]
[i][/i]

Last edited by BergmanAutoCraft; 01/02/17 02:10 AM.