I never did prefill an oil filter. I suppose it's a good idea, I just never bothered. No reason not to, no reason to either, I don't think any engine has ever been harmed by it. If the engine was actually losing critical oil pressure during a dry start-up I think we'd hear something, be it lifters bleeding down or whatnot. I watched the oil pressure gauge on mine after an oil change and the extra time it took to start building oil pressure(compared to normal) was almost nothing.

Quote:

When I had my turbo Daytona,they told me point blank I'd better prefill it by cranking the engine over with the coil wire grounded. They claimed they had actually replaced some turbos and had seen premature turbo failures due to oil changes when people started them up with dry filters.

I have to LOL at that. At idle speed the turbine on the turbo is not even spinning, or if it is, it's barely just slightly moving. So unless you change your oil, start the engine up and immediately mash the pedal to full boost, I don't see how you could have a problem. Even then oil would get there so quick you could never do any damage.