This process is effective, low labor, and relatively cheap for big parts. Small parts may be placed in the pool facing the backsides of the graphite at the same time as big parts that are facing the other side of the graphite. For maximum exposure to the graphite, small parts can be stood up by using bare wire. See photo of battery tray.

Since each band saw cut of a block doubles the surface area, sawing should be an advantage.

To make the wiring convenient, I ran a bare ground wire from Romex around the perimeter of the pool held by binder clips. This is for the sacrificial anode, the graphite. A wooden bridge across the top carries another bare wire for alligator clipping to the cathode, the part to be cleaned.

My graphite is rounded from use. I put the graphite on top of a brick to raise it up slightly, along with a bare steel wire clamped to it for making an electrical connection with alligator clips. The muck on top of the bricks is expended graphite.

Wires submerged in electrolyte should be bare steel. If nickel, copper, or zinc is in the electrolyte, these metals may plate onto your part. For example alligator clips are typically nickel plated and should not be submerged.

P1040597.jpgP1040600.jpgP1040606.jpg

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.