Picking up on a older thread... as most of you may know, I use the car for serious pylon autocross in the past, but in recent years I'm running road course events.. HSAX/HPDE... avg speeds ~80mph (occasionally up to 110-115mph top-end and maybe a little faster in the near future).... its street/hwy driven (maybe another trailer in the future).

I'm at a crossroads decision to upgrade from my current 10.75" front power disc brakes to the 11.75" dia rotors (Cordoba, etc). I have multiple rim choices that I want to keep and use, pending my different events, etc.

I intend to use my 15x8 vintage mini-lite rims for street/hwy cruising, although I may eventually run the 15x7 factory steel rally rims (maybe going to 15x8 chrome rally rims for the front and 15x10 chrome rally rims for the rear... then using my aluminum 15x8 vintage mini-lite rims with Hoosier autocross tires size 275-50-15 f/r.

Also have a couple sets of 16" dia rims for various purposes; not yet planning, if ever, to get 17 or 18 diam rims... those are e few years away, if ever.

I recently acquired a pair of 73 up A-body disc spindles (large bearing design). I was going to get the Wilwood light weight calipers (with dust seals) as has been promoted/written in various articles, BUT.. it seems that the special caliper bracket from AREngineering (or Dr. Diff?) is no longer available to adapt the Wilwood calipers.

SO, if I install the large-bearing spindles (73-up disc A-body) which I have aside, then I'll have to install the heavy cast-iron calipers (again, Cordoba, etc) with the 11.75 rotors. Perhaps that'll be OK and show some noticeable braking improvement... my factory 10.75 discs and iron calipers have, in my opinion, worked fine for all the past ~40 years of duty/racing, even at the recent HSAX/HPDE track events. I've been using older semi-metallic asbestos pads from Wagner (yes... they are old, but I have a few sets to use up... and they work fine for me. (I'm aware that Dr Diff sells this as a kit, I'd simply negate the spindles since I already have them.)

In the rear, I have stock drums (small, 10" non-finned drums)... light weight compared to the larger 11" finned drums). I DO intend to get the Dr. Diff 10.7" rear disc setup pretty soon.

BUT,... I've just run across a potential purchase of the Viper gen-1 calipers, drum spindles, lines, etc (possibly coming off a Mopar e-b body... not sure about that... I believe this is an older Dr. Diff setup... I'll inquire further.. the older setup requires pad/caliper spacers and uses the 1" thin Cordoba rotor). It seems the gen-1 Viper calipers are difficult to purchase by themselves (I've seen they want core exchanges), and very expensive!

SO, what do you think is the better choice for me, keeping in mind the rims I intend to use, in particular the potential future usage of the factory-style 15" rally rims? I know the Viper calipers MAY not fit within the factory rally rims, but they will fit factory steel 15x7 cop-rims (including the 15x8 Super Coupe rims, I believe).

My interest is best performance and allowable 15" rims that i described.

I'm also aware that Dr Diff offers adapters for the Viper gen-1 calipers, along with thicker 11.75 C-body rotors at 1.25" thickness (instead of the thinner common Cordoba rotors at 1"). Granted, the thicker rotors would probably be better for long-life on the road race tracks for HSAX/HPDE... again, something to consider.

My car has been all apart (engine out/suspension/engine bay all being re-done) and is slowly getting back-together... aiming at the 2017 race season for my return.

T/Anks ahead for any advice and feedback.

Last edited by Mopar Mitch; 08/19/16 04:45 PM.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!