Let me see if I can steer this thread back in to some form of reality. First, it's interesting to see how so many fall back in to the mind set that a higher octane # = more power. The real BS comes when someone tells you that they changed fuels ( with no other changes )and made more power. In most cases when that occurs, they had problems that they did not know about with the fuel they were running, and the most likely cause was mild detonation that they could not see, hear, read, but was there.
In the late 60's I worked for a company called "Universal Oil Products". I worked in their dyno shop ( both engine and chassis) for 3 years. Attached to this shop was their Knock lab, which consisted of a bunch of single piston engines that you could vary the CR on while they were running to measure the anti knock ability of different fuels. On the dyno side, we ran the same fuel for almost all of our tests - 100 iso octane or 100 octane. We ran engine dyno tests for lots of different reasons and some were for detonation. If I were running a dyno shop today for high performance engines I would definitely use a high octane fuel to do my testing. Av gas would be a good choice because you don't have to worry about RVP and you could maximize other engine parameters, (timing, temp, AF ratio, etc ) without accidentally grenading the customers motor, and the costs might be better than race gas. There was seldom a time when we changed fuels on a test engine and saw a change in HP without some form of detonation involvement - why the detonation lab was attached to the dyno lab.
Getting back to RVP, I am sure everyone knows that RVP is a measure of fuel volatility (how easily it vaporizes) measured in PSI. The higher the #, the more volatile. Race fuel is usually in the 5-7psi range. Pump gas = 12-14 psi range, and Av gas is well above that. As long as you can control the ambient temp ( dyno work ) or are using it in a seasonable temp range ( ambient and under hood temps) it probably won't be a problem. Running Av gas in a car with high under hood temps ( street applications)and dead head fuel systems and you stand a good chance of experiencing vapor lock. Transversely, running race gas with a low RVP and trying to start at 0 degrees F, could be a problem - why I didn't recommend it for street applications. Again, to the OP, it voodent hurt to try it! If you see an improvement in ET / speed, great, but you were probably running in some level of detonation prior to the change ( albeit it minor ). Objectve = stay out of detonation at all costs while running a fuel with the lowest octane rating where you can do that while maximizing all other engine settings for best TQ/HP. My opinion = play it safe and run a little more octane than you think you may need.

Fastest 300