Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Other than going to the Dremel tool or buzz saw, what successful remedies have you guys applied to removing an over tightened wheel lug nut?
This is not a rusted lug, but an overly torqued lug.
I'll never again let a flat fix guy tighten the wheel lugs with an impact gun.

Use a good impact to remove it. Not a average impact wrench.

A hand held propane or better yet map gas torch will provide enough heat to get it off with regular tools.

FWIW for 25 years I used regular old 1/2' impacts at home and at work and ran into plenty of cases where it was not enough. I would drag out my heavy 3/4" impact and hopefully had a small enough socket to do the job.

Then one of my 1/2" impacts broke,the trigger broke. Cracked off when I threw another tool into the tool box on top of it. I showed it to my Snap On guy and he said it was so old it was not worth fixing and they would not have parts for it? He was right it was old. He talked me into buying a new lightweight composite impact from him.

Wow that thing is powerful and does a much better job of getting things loose and is much lighter to drag around. Well worth the 450 bucks it cost. Should have had one years ago.

It was a Xmas special and I got a pistol gun case and a long 3/8" ratchet for replacing belts on cars and trucks that came with the impact wrench. I work on big trucks at work so I need a powerful impact, so nice to have the right tool for the job and didn't realize how weak my 1/2" impacts were.