Originally Posted By Jerry Kathe
Originally Posted By crabman173
Originally Posted By camastomcat
Well, I've been running bushed Crower bushed lifters for 3 years. My spring pressures are 450 on the seat, 1200 open. My 55mm roller cam is close to an inch. So far I have had no failures and that's what it takes to make a predator engine run. I haven't run 650 open pressures in 20 years but if I did, the needle bearing Morel or Comps would be fine. I had problems with those when I got into the 750-800 lbs range, but I have friends that run the Manley 221424 springs and standard offset Comps and they get 200 passes without a problem. I really like the bushed lifters as if they do start to wear out, they don't deposit extremely hard little needle bearings somewhere in your engine. JMO

I agree!!
Just figure most guys here are bracket racers and should stay in the "safe" lane lobe wise but cam makers tend act like we all have an engine like yours and get regular guys off in the weeds with crazy high pressures On the dyno you can really see the diff in lobes and what it takes to control the newest lobes--it is relaxing to run an "old" style lobe that can be controlled with lower pressures--they can still make big beautiful HP in most stock block combos
The proof of all this conversation is the trend of everyone having lifter issues and crushing out the needles--the conversation always starts out--"well..my cam grinder said I need 1000 open" then " I got 20 runs and wheel fell off of lifters" always comes back to the "new" cam they started using

I miss the days of the old .590 solid in a 440 and a J converter--:)

Allow me to condense it a little - The best lifters in existence for the most extreme applications do not use bushings.
Do you think they would use needle bearings in a fuel motor if they were inferior to bushings?.....think of the cylinder pressure combined with static spring load that is required to open the exhaust valve here....just saying.....
if your only putting 10 passes or less it wouldn't mater, would it? I'm sure needle bearings could be a very slight advsntage. No way they last as long.
Doug