Originally Posted By David_in_St_Croi
In the end how well did the AMD metal work out? Is that an AMD cowl and rear filler panel? I believe those pieces were the ones mentioned as not fitting for someone.

Yes, this is an AMD cowl and filler panel. I already had them ordered when I heard about the problems Silver70 had. That's what I get for not logging in to Moparts very often.
Overall, I'd say they fit great. Sheet metal really needs to be worked and fit to the car, and having someone with a lot of sheet metal experience help out is beneficial. Even NOS sheet metal doesn’t always fall into place. It's not like a bolt on part that just fits every time. With sheet metal, sometimes you have to bang it, bend it, and tweak it to really get it to fit just right.
At first, we thought that the gap between the passenger side of the cowl and the fender / door would be a little to wide, but it came out fine. No modifications needed. Here's a picture, but this isn't the final adjustment of the fender or door, they've been moved since we checked. When we're done, we'll have nice even gaps between all the panels.

The filler panel took more work to fit it to the quarters and get a nice even gap all the way around the trunk lid. In the end, the drivers front corner (by the glass) stuck up about 1/16th of an inch, but everything else fit perfect, so we made a little cut, pushed the window lip down into place and welded it up where we wanted it. Here's a pic.
If I recall correctly, we had to make a little cut like this on the right trunk extension panel also, but all the other panels fit good after some work getting everything aligned.

Tav

Last edited by cataclysm80; 01/17/16 04:09 PM.