Ok, little background info to get everyone up to speed. I just recently picked up a 77 440 out of a truck. Nothing special, low mileage that sat outside. Guy threw in a brand new .474 purple shaft and some 1.6ration PRW roller rockers. All for 100. Couldnt pass it up.

Well, I got the motor apart and everything looks great....except a hole in a piston. So a quick trip to summit...46 dollar piston, timing set, lifters and gaskets im almost ready to re-assemble this thing.

The timing set I boug has notches for either retarding or advancing the cam from 2-8 degrees.

Should I install the cam by lining up the dots? Advance it? Im lost as to what to do.

Its gonna be an 8-1 906 headed motor since this is what ive pieced together for very little money.

8-1 compression, .474 purple shaft, undecided on stock rockers or the 1.6 ratio (may just sell them) rpm air gap, 750 holley DP. Not looking to make huge numbers, its a budget motor that I have no idea what im going to do with.

So any advice on where to install the cam, which rockers I should use and any guesses on what kind of power this pig will make? Thanks in advance guys.