I have a Mallory 140 with the regulator. I have a 383.
I put the pump right in front of the tank between the tank and the differential. It is mounted on the rail near the tank with a piece of rubber between the bracket and the rail. (rubber was cut from an exhaust hanger from Autozone). I put the bracket as low as I could go. I used some small metal brackets I found at the hardware store to extend the pump lower. The pump bottom is about level with the bottom of the tank.

I also have a in-line fuel filter (Holley 100 micron) before the pump and a regular 40 micron filter before the regulator. The regulator is mounted in front of the carb with a bracket from AED.

The Mallory is quiet and the rubber helps absorb any vibration. The only issue with the Mallory is the metal threads are really delicate.
I had to send my first pump back. The aluminum is real soft and the threads are not made well. I had a leak the first time. I found the threads falling apart on the first pump. The second one was fine and does not leak.

mine is a dead head setup. I do not have a return line. It does fine and I have had no issues with vapor lock or any issues with pump overheating.
I do have the larger fuel lines and a 3/8th style fuel sender I got from Dixie parts. It has the return line nipple. I capped it off for now. I may add the return line in someday but for now it works great.
Dixie parts fit great and it was easy to do. No leaks.

I also added a oil pressure switch and relay to my fuel pump. that is a must for safety.

Smos