Wow!!! You guys have given a lot of great advice! I appreciate it!!

A truck is probably the best choice. Interestingly, my father made the very same suggestion. His rational was to have a newer, economical car for normal driving and a truck for hauling stuff and for fun. In thinking about this longer term, I would like to take an early retirement in 10 years...so having fewer vehicles at that point would be wise. Having fewer vehicles means having vehicles which can fill more roles.

Poorboy, Thanks for the time estimate. I was afraid a project like your coupe would take a considerable amount of time. Having never tackled a project of that scope, I could not even guess how long it might take. Your car is really cool! Unfortunately, it is not practical for me to take on such a long term project currently. It could easily take 5+ years to find 700 to 1000 hours of spare time! I would almost certainly give up before finishing such a long term project.

Moparrx, Your point of selecting a vehicle that brings happiness is an excellent point. It is a point that I have often ignored! My dream vehicle would be a 69 Charger. Unless the collector car market changes dramatically, I will not be building one of these on a $5,000 to $10,000 budget. This is why other alternatives are being considered. Obviously, the alternative must be liked though.

It would be real nice to have an older V8 powered vehicle that has a mild rumble to it. A mechanically simple vehicle that is repairable with hand tools. A vehicle that can provide a bit of driving excitement and pleasure.

RodStRace, There are annual safety inspections here currently. There has been talk of implementing smog inspections due to the poor air quality. It is also entirely possible I will be moved to another state. (Job transfer) So an older vehicle would definitely be preferred to avoid potential smog hassles in the future. This is why I was thinking of a pre-smog era vehicle. Were the heavy duty 1/2 ton trucks of the 1970's smog exempt?

In thinking about this, a truck suitable for a "rolling restoration" would likely be the best choice. In other words, a usable truck that can be upgraded / refurbished one system at a time over a number of years. That way it is never taken apart for a long period of time.

Did Dodge publish tow ratings for their 1950's trucks? Do the insurance companies which offer insurance for modified vehicles cover or allow towing a utility trailer or another car?

Last edited by QuickDodge; 07/13/15 10:09 PM.