Depending on where you live, I would think you could build a very dependable daily driver on the mid to upper end of your budget. Depending on your fabrication skills (welding, sheet metal, figuring things out), you might be on the road for something in the $3,000 -$4,000 range. It really depends on your expectations, the closer top perfect (or fast) you require, the more the cost escalates.

48-53 (especially the 51 & 52 model year) Dodge trucks are probably the easiest "old trucks" to find. They are pretty much every where. They had decent frames that could be updated, but the reality is, its probably cheaper to mount that old body on a newer frame. A Dakota chassis make great doners, they are plentiful, about the right size, can be had fairly cheap,(if you buy a running version, you have all the parts you need) and they will support the weight & power of your 440. Pay attention to the condition of the frame (rust out) between the trans crossmember and the front spring perches.
My coupe is on a Dakota frame. I have about $4,000 in it to be a dependable daily summer driver. Gene

white & blue coupe 2.jpgwhite & blue coupe 3.jpg