[quote=dizuster]I don't think you'll get a stock block to go 5.50's. The problem is that is uncharted territory. There are not a lot of turbo small block mopars out there, so it's really hard to judge how much power the stock block will take.

Mine makes around 800hp, but it's shown some signs of block fatigue (odd main bearing wear from flexing, excessive blow by under boost requiring puke tank, etc...) Mine is filled, and even has a girdle on it now, but I'm not sure how much more power it would take. There are some very fast stock block ford/chevy examples out there though, and I don't think the Small block mopar is any worse then a 350/351 combo.

Here is my story so you can see if it helps you.

Started with a cast crank/stock block/stock rod/forged shelf piston combo with iron heads, transbrake 727, 8 3/4, S475 turbo running through stock dodge ram manifolds.

First thing it broke was the sprag in the trans, it even had a low band apply valve body. Upgraded to super sprag, replaced warn clutches because some of them were hot looking (stock clutches). This was at the 10.60~10.70 range.

Then I kept turning it up... went from 10.60~10.20's pretty easily.

Turned it up looking for 9's. 10.08@136 on 20psi. Next pass all hell broke loose.

Sheared the pinion off the 8 3/4" at the starting line. Had to replace with a Dana 60.

Took the trans apart, and the front planetary was 1/2 ripped out (unknown if it happened before or during the gear break). Needed a planetary, new direct drum (again old one had hot clutches even with Alto's).

Took the motor apart to put better rods in it, and found 3 of the 8 pistons caved in. Not melted through... just overpowered. Found that the bottom end had some weird main bearing wear attributed to the block/crank flexing, so I put a girdle on it. Every pair of valves had a crack between both cylinders, so I had to put heads on it.

Since with the better heads, it's been 9.88@138 on 15~16psi. (Which equates to 6.31@110 if you're wondering).

So just from my experience no where NEAR 5.50... I'd be leary of trying a 8 3/4 and 904 combo.

That being said... if you're looking to use what you have, I see no issue with building a lower powered combo to get your feet wet, and stepping up.

Put a cheap T4 turbo on it, and build yourself a good hot side. That way later when you want to step up on power, you can just replace the turbo without having to rebuild everything else.

Low 10's in an a-body could be done fairly low cost, and be fairly reliable.

I would put one of the offshore lower cost turbo's on it. Either the GT45 80mm, or the 80/75. Build yourself a 2.25" hotside, and let it rip.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know where're talking LA stuff but I have a good stock 5.7 sitting here, would the same parts,ideas, work for the it?

Last edited by cudaman1969; 06/24/15 04:27 PM.