Originally Posted By jbc426
The vast majority of baffeled tanks currently available are not capable of providing air free fuel unless they are at least half full.
Even modern EFI cars are having issues with air bubbles getting into the high pressure fuel lines. Most serious EFI systems are using a surge tank to suplement and eliminate the air bubble problem on the high pressure side.

I am using a surge tank in my '68 Barracuda with a stock fuel tank and exterior mounted pusher pump, it can be run as low as 2 gallons with no air getting in my high pressure side.

It also keeps the high pressure plumbing much shorter, as it is mounted at the front of the car.

iagree with you. You are exactly correct imo.

Save your money on a custom built fuel tank, keep your stocker (fuel tank and pump) and put that money toward the sump and fuel pump. You'll be at least 500 bucks ahead...Just as long as you have room in front for the sump.

BTW not a new idea at all. I know guys who had front mounted custom fuel sumps up front with holley fuel bowl for floats on them that gravity feed a mechanical fuel pump for mechanical fuel injection, 25 years ago. Now with submerged pumps any mounting is possible. Very slick way of providing hi pressure fuel for a old muscle car like ours. Everyone should look into it, imo.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 05/26/15 09:50 PM.