Moparts

New EFI Fuel tanks!

Posted By: 451Mopar

New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/26/15 07:55 AM

TanksInc.com is advertising new EFI fuel tanks for our older Mopars. I called about the 1968 - 1970 Coronet tank, but they said it would be a few months before they are avaliable.

Link:
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/p...prod/prd485.htm
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/26/15 08:56 AM

With an Aeromotive Phantom system you can do this yourself...no waiting either
Posted By: plazomat

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/26/15 01:39 PM

That is great news and seemly a good price. I paid more for my stock tank.

Any idea how many months...or are they just checking market interest..before they commission a batch from China.

Plaz
Posted By: Stanton

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/26/15 04:27 PM

Quote:
With an Aeromotive Phantom system you can do this yourself

This doesn't compare to a properly baffled EFI tank.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/26/15 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
With an Aeromotive Phantom system you can do this yourself

This doesn't compare to a properly baffled EFI tank.

According the them it has "EFI style internal baffling"

I plan to run a Walbro TIA485-2 pump that is 450 lph and works with E-85.

I was going to make my own tank, but I just might try one of these out.

No specific release date, they just said it would be a few months?

I'm not sure if the A and E-body tanks are already done, the web page says "New", where the B-Body tanks say "Coming Soon"?

I though it was cool that someone would manufacture these at an affordable price. Right now I just have a sump kit welded to a stock tank and an external in-line fuel pump. I don't care for the look of the sump and external pump, that is why I'm interested in these tanks.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/26/15 09:38 PM

The vast majority of baffeled tanks currently available are not capable of providing air free fuel unless they are at least half full.
Even modern EFI cars are having issues with air bubbles getting into the high pressure fuel lines. Most serious EFI systems are using a surge tank to suplement and eliminate the air bubble problem on the high pressure side.

I am using a surge tank in my '68 Barracuda with a stock fuel tank and exterior mounted pusher pump, it can be run as low as 2 gallons with no air getting in my high pressure side.

It also keeps the high pressure plumbing much shorter, as it is mounted at the front of the car.
Posted By: BDW

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/26/15 11:49 PM

It looks like Spectra is offering tanks with EFI,
and from RockAuto no less, great price, but not a lot of details.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?make=DODGE&ck[year_1995]=true&ck[mkt_US]=true&ck[mkt_EU]=false&ck[mkt_CA]=false&ck[mkt_MX]=false&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=bdifjnmrn1f8a71ibc9uqcthm7
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/27/15 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By jbc426
The vast majority of baffeled tanks currently available are not capable of providing air free fuel unless they are at least half full.
Even modern EFI cars are having issues with air bubbles getting into the high pressure fuel lines. Most serious EFI systems are using a surge tank to suplement and eliminate the air bubble problem on the high pressure side.

I am using a surge tank in my '68 Barracuda with a stock fuel tank and exterior mounted pusher pump, it can be run as low as 2 gallons with no air getting in my high pressure side.

It also keeps the high pressure plumbing much shorter, as it is mounted at the front of the car.

iagree with you. You are exactly correct imo.

Save your money on a custom built fuel tank, keep your stocker (fuel tank and pump) and put that money toward the sump and fuel pump. You'll be at least 500 bucks ahead...Just as long as you have room in front for the sump.

BTW not a new idea at all. I know guys who had front mounted custom fuel sumps up front with holley fuel bowl for floats on them that gravity feed a mechanical fuel pump for mechanical fuel injection, 25 years ago. Now with submerged pumps any mounting is possible. Very slick way of providing hi pressure fuel for a old muscle car like ours. Everyone should look into it, imo.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/27/15 05:17 AM

They show the tanks for my car as being available now from Tanks Inc. It changed last Friday. Spectra pushed some prototypes out through their dealer network in very limited quantities and they sold out quickly. A Spectra dealer told me in a few months they are supposed have them in production quantities.
Not sure if I am going to get the Spectra or Tanks. Main thing that I do not know the quality of the fuel pump in the Spectra. Warbro in the Tanks is known quality.
The Spectra uses hoses with clamps while the Tanks uses -AN fittings that I like better.
Both of them use after market gauge senders and that has been an issue with many.
Tanks holds one more gallon of fuel and both hold more than the stock tank. Tanks has a recess to route the hoses and wiring, Spectra is in the same spot as the stock tank. The both look stock from the rear.
My stock tanks needs replacing as it is seeping at the seems. I am hoping that an in tank pump is quieter than the Edelbrock pump I am using now. I am going to go for one or the other in the next few weeks.
As for the sump, the price of a sump and a replacement tank is more than an EFI tank and pump so that is the way I am going to go. Just not sure which one.
Craig

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/27/15 09:19 AM

denfireguy, are you going the the Mopar show at Bandimere Sunday?
I think I will take the '69 Convertible. I won't have the Charger together by Sunday.
Posted By: dynorad

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/27/15 05:33 PM

Hey Jim, I plan to be there with my GTX assuming OK weather. See you there.
Posted By: jcc

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/27/15 06:49 PM

cool
Posted By: AlexP

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/27/15 06:53 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1577339/6/let-the-hemi-swap-begin.html

I've got one and my initial review is promising...

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/27/15 08:27 PM

Quote:
As much as that at face value seems to be a plus, adding a considerable bit more plumbing, tank, wiring, etc, that still includes high pressure, in a area rather venerable in our older cars in even a minor shunt, seems to possibly offset that upside.

So you're saying it makes more sense to have the entire system from the rear of the car under high pressure than just the front-mounted sump !?!?!?!

Less plumbing than a full return system.
Wiring - to the front or to the rear - what's the difference?
The sump system is about as compact as any "in tank" system.
The installation of a sump versus any other efi pump system is just so much simpler and faster.

The sump just makes way more sense. You just need to find one that supports your HP. The Edelbrock one is pretty slick but makes no mention of what kind of HP is can support.
Posted By: Sir Valiant

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/28/15 01:38 AM

I ordered a Spectra CR8AFI from Amazon for my Cuda. I'll post pics but they are saying about a month before delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-CR8AFI-Classic-Injection/dp/B00S835MWC
Posted By: RobbMc

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/28/15 02:48 AM

Another option is our PowerSurge. The only drawback is that it requires a 1/4" return line back to the stock tank. Some cars came from the factory with a 1/4" return line but some didn't.

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/powersurge.html

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/28/15 02:49 AM

cool

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/28/15 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By 451Mopar
I think I will take the '69 Convertible. I won't have the Charger together by Sunday.
I am going to be there but they tore up the driveway behind my townhome three weeks ago to pave and then the rains came. I cannot get it out of the garage now.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/28/15 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By Sir Valiant
I ordered a Spectra CR8AFI from Amazon for my Cuda. I'll post pics but they are saying about a month before delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-CR8AFI-Classic-Injection/dp/B00S835MWC

You will have to let us know how it is when you get it. What pump does it have?

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/28/15 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By denfireguy
Originally Posted By 451Mopar
I am going to be there but they tore up the driveway behind my townhome three weeks ago to pave and then the rains came. I cannot get it out of the garage now.

Hope for good weather this weekend. See you and Dynorad at Bandimere.
Posted By: patosmith

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 05/31/15 05:29 PM

[quote=RobbMc]Another option is our PowerSurge. The only drawback is that it requires a 1/4" return line back to the stock tank. Some cars came from the factory with a 1/4" return line but some didn't.

RobbMc, I'm curious how the power surge system would work when installing a gen 3 hemi in a 72 Challenger.
I don't have a fuel system installed other than a stock tank.
The sending unit has a 3/8 line with a 1/4 return so good to go there.
There is no fuel pump on the hemi or in the tank.
I am going to have to do something. Either one of these new tanks for EFI or maybe your system.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 06/01/15 06:16 PM

The RobbMcC unit looks like a mechanic built a coffee mug.

R.
Posted By: DeMopuar

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 07/26/15 01:35 AM

Had anyone had good luck with either the Tanks Inc. EFI fuel tank or the Spectra EFI fuel tank such as here:

Spectra Cuda EFI Fuel Tank

Just wondering if these work well when there's 1/4 tank of fuel -- I mean, does it starve the fuel pump at an unacceptable level, or does each one work well?

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 07/27/15 04:43 PM

Quote:
As much as that at face value seems to be a plus, adding a considerable bit more plumbing, tank, wiring, etc, that still includes high pressure, in a area rather venerable in our older cars in even a minor shunt, seems to possibly offset that upside.

So you're saying it makes more sense to have the entire system from the rear of the car under high pressure than just the front-mounted sump !?!?!?!

Less plumbing than a full return system.
Wiring - to the front or to the rear - what's the difference?
The sump system is about as compact as any "in tank" system.
The installation of a sump versus any other efi pump system is just so much simpler and faster.

The sump just makes way more sense. You just need to find one that supports your HP. The Edelbrock one is pretty slick but makes no mention of what kind of HP is can support.

The front mounted sump solves some problems, I personally don't see a great problem with high pressure fuel lines running, correctly placed, front to back. Nearly every modern car has this set-up.

What I don't like is, with our older cars, with little designed in crush zones, the mounting of the sump system, that also has HIGH pressure, and more of concern to me, a quart plus of fuel, located basically where ever space allows, with little concern to accident impact intrusion, etc. The difference being, all this electrical hardware and fuel quantity, which does not exist in a rear fed High pressure system is now in the engine compartment, probably in front of the engine, with a lot of hot engine parts nearby. It is not a very forgiving location, and still being fed by a rear mounted low pressure pump rated likely at a slightly higher gpm flow rate then the sump pump.
It would be the location and mounting lack of concern that gets my attention. It is a solution that I would consider, and aim one of the in car extinguisher fire nozzles at.
Posted By: Steve88

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 07/27/15 05:04 PM

I have the RobbMC Powersurge on my 71 RR and so far I like it. I have converted dozens of older cars over from carb to EFI and in most cases I modified a new stock type tank over to EFI with a intank pump. They have all worked fine for the most part but a few have had issues with fuel starvation issues in turns with less than a half tank. The traditional rear facing sump with an external pump works great but I hate seeing all the plumbing from the rear of the car. I decided to try the Powersurge set because there wont be any issues with fuel slosh or starvation at any fuel level and the ease of installation. I just got the car together and running a short time ago but I should be drving it a good bit in the next few weeks and I can report on how the Powersurge is working.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 08/22/15 01:48 AM

No one has a Tanks EFI tank in a Cuda or Challenger?

If anyone has, I am curious if there are fuel starvation issues at a quarter of a tank of fuel.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 08/23/15 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By DeMopuar
No one has a Tanks EFI tank in a Cuda or Challenger?

If anyone has, I am curious if there are fuel starvation issues at a quarter of a tank of fuel.

Thanks,

Mark
Not yet. Have some more plumbing items to get but I hope to be installing in three weeks or so.
I am not sure why there would be fuel starvation. The sock for the fuel pump is nearly flush with the bottom of the tank baffle. I have had the tank dry fitted with the sender and the pump. Will be doing clearance tests with the sender boom and float as they are close to the pump. will have those done this week.
Craig

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 08/23/15 04:12 AM

Again, I'm just curious what the real world experience will be with these Tanks Inc. EFI tanks and fuel starvation at low fuel levels. I know the manufacturer will tell me that these are the best thing you can ever purchase --- I would rather know from the guy who has one with experience with low fuel levels telling me that the fuel baffles work as advertised. This means more to me than what the manufacturer would tell me.

Yes, I've seen the interior of these Tanks Inc. EFI fuel tanks and they look like they would work, I'm just wanting to know if they work as advertised.

I look forward to hear how you like your Tanks Inc. EFI tank -- I'm assuming that's the one that you've commented on above?

Thank you,

Mark

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 08/24/15 03:40 PM

Yes it is a Tanks, Inc
Posted By: Jax.Jags

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/09/15 06:43 PM

Any more info on this? I saw the Spectra tank being offered on EBay by tomsclassics advertising 55-85 psi but no gph rating or description of the pump used. I guess the easy answer is to contact and ask but I'd rather hear it from a member with first hand knowledge...I know there are Walbro knockoffs offered on many Chinese sites and I'd guess that's probably what's being used.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/10/15 06:00 AM

I'd go with Aeromotive...

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/10/15 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By Jax.Jags
Any more info on this? I saw the Spectra tank being offered on EBay by tomsclassics advertising 55-85 psi but no gph rating or description of the pump used. I guess the easy answer is to contact and ask but I'd rather hear it from a member with first hand knowledge...I know there are Walbro knockoffs offered on many Chinese sites and I'd guess that's probably what's being used.

I ordered a Spectra Performance CR9CFI Fuel tank ('69 Coronet) with internal pump from Amazon ($366.02) to try out.

It looks pretty nice. Made In Canada.
The Fuel Pump that it comes with is a Walbro (USA) GSS342, 255 lph pump which should be good for 500+ HP?
There is a tub type baffle/sump in the tank that the pump sits in.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/11/15 08:48 PM

Thanks for the first hand info 451Mopar! It's greatly appreciated. up I will take that to the bank and feel good about ordering one myself. Thank you again for sharing your experience!

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/11/15 10:43 PM

I was looking at a Tanks Inc one, but they are not out yet. I like the separate sender unit from the pump.
On the Spectra tank, the pump and sender are combined and it was a pain to remove it from the tank. Only reason I removed it was to see what pump was used and how it was baffled. I forgot to take pictures, but it looked decent, so I will just install it and try it out. I'll post updates after installing the tank.

One thing with the spectra setup, the pressure and return lines are 3/8" supply, 5/15" return, and they are the regular style where you push a fuel hose over the connector and tighten it with a hose clamp. I guess it will be OK with the higher fuel pressures? I'll find out.
I did buy hose to -6 AN adaptors so I will just use a short length of EFI barricade (Gates) fuel line from the tank to the adaptor, than connect my existing -6 AN fuel lines.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/14/15 05:47 AM

More good info... thanks. I too was looking at the Tanks, Inc. model but the e body version is around $200 more than the Spectra tank. From the info you've provided it seems the Spectra is tough to beat. Thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge...

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/14/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By Jax.Jags
More good info... thanks. I too was looking at the Tanks, Inc. model but the e body version is around $200 more than the Spectra tank. From the info you've provided it seems the Spectra is tough to beat. Thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge...
Depends on the vehicle. For E body, the Tanks, Inc is about $40 more. I went that route as I did not know what pump Spectra was using and there were no tanks in inventory. Now they are in stock and I know they are using Warbro pump, I would just as easily bought the Spectra.
Craig

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/22/15 12:57 AM

With the pump, the Tanks inc one goes for around $550 plus shipping for a Cuda... the spectra tank comes in at $342 shipped from Rock auto ...a big price difference...

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/22/15 03:03 AM

What sort of HP will the pump in the Spectra support? The Tanks unit can be purchased with different pumps to support different HP levels.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/22/15 06:13 PM

What sort of HP will the pump in the Spectra support? The Tanks unit can be purchased with different pumps to support different HP levels.

At stock voltages, I think it can do 550 HP from what I have read. Some people use a voltage booster to get more?

I removed the sender/pump unit to try and swap in the 450 LPH welbro pump, but the 450 pump is larger in diameter at the bottom and does not fit the bracket for the 255 lph pump, so I decided to just use the 255 lph pump and see how it works. Hopefully I can get the tank installed this weekend and see how it works.
Posted By: rattler

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/23/15 07:11 PM

I have been watching this thread for another reason. I am building a 64 Savoy wagon thats getting a 5.7 Hemi and Nag-1 trans. The gas tank rests vertcally in the left quarter panel. I don't see any way to add an in-tank pump, so I have to have an external high pressure pump. Relocating the gas tank is out of the question.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 09/30/15 08:51 AM

I installed the tank Saturday, along with new tank straps. Generally the tank fits like a stock tank, but the fuel line and return connections come out of the sending unit pointing right at the same area the "J" bolt is for the tank strap. The lines clear, but they are really close to the "J" bolt. I plan to put some fuel line over the "J" bolt threads to prevent any chance of chafing the supply and return lines.

I also changed the axle fluid, trans fluid, and installed new stainless rear brake lines, but that ate up a bunch of time so I did not finish wiring the fuel pump and sending unit.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 10/19/15 10:30 AM

Update on the Spectra Performance CR9CFI Fuel tank. Installed it and it blew the the fuel pump fuse. Removed tank, and the sending unit it inspect. Unplugged the fuel pump and checked for short. Found that the through wire connection at the sending unit plate had the terminals coming out towards the inside of the plate, and there is a bracket spot welded to the sending unit plate that supports the fuel lines inside the tank, and the riveted terminal was touching the bracket. I should have taken some photos, but I just wanted to get this thing back in the car. Anyhow, I was able to rotate the riveted connector away from the bracket and that fixed the problem. Before putting the tank back in, I also straightened out the fuel lines a bit because they were having the fuel lines come out pointing right at the "J"-Bolt/tank strap. Not sure if this was how they were originally bent, or if they got bent more in shipping?

So far, I just fired up the car and the pump is very quiet. Haven't driven the car as I'm still installing the Disc brake conversion.
Posted By: jsbrown

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 01/14/16 12:27 AM

Just found this thread wondering if anyone else had seen the same issue. For anyone running a spectra tank, I'd pull the sender and check/fix how they crimped the red pump power lead. Mine was mashed hard into the sender casing and blew fuses right out of the gate. Here's a pic. I've sent the pic to spectra as well.

I had another one here that wasn't shorted but the red lead was just hovering right over the sender casing instead of being hard shorted to it (probably a few thou away). I'd be much more worried about them looking like that!

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 01/14/16 06:21 PM

That is the exact same issue I had. I was able to rotate the connector around 180 degrees away from the bracket. I just wish I checked it before installing the tank.

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 01/15/16 09:41 PM

Wanted to give you an update, got my Tanks Inc injection tank hung but the cold has stopped me from finishing the plumbing. Electrical is hooked up and the gauge reads E as it should and the pump is quiet.
Did you determine what fuel pump Spectra put in your tank?
Craig
Posted By: jsbrown

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 01/16/16 07:44 AM

The spectra I had was the walbro gss342.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 01/16/16 04:55 PM

For the 72 -76 A body tank #TCR11D-T, is the price of $245 per tank include the pump and the sending unit?? than another $25 for straps??

Re: New EFI Fuel tanks! - 01/17/16 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By jsbrown
The spectra I had was the walbro gss342.
Thanks. BTW the tank is the one I ordered the straps, filler neck and J bolts from you for. They all fit just fine.
Craig
© 2024 Moparts Forums