It's not going to leak. My Suburban is more than 10 years from me checking inside and then using TRS for the gasket. Nary a drip. That's what factories use to make differential gaskets now. In other words, they don't use a gasket, they use The Right Stuff.

BUT, it would have helped you to read the directions. I'm sure it says somewhere to use a thin layer. A heavy bead is not going to make the seal more secure, just give you more to clean up.

As for the material squeezing into the inside of the rear end, I imagine it would, but after 10 minutes of driving it has been blended into the lube and I doubt it's doing any harm.

The Right Stuff cures instantly upon being deprived of air, like when two surfaces are clamped together. I have literally installed something using it, put the tools away, topped off the liquids and driven 600 miles. Nary a drop of leakage.

So it's different from the typical silicone, which cures at room temperature by grabbing water out of the air.

Every time the topic comes up, there are posts saying it sticks the two parts together better than JB Weld. I haven't had that experience. I generally use a thin putty knife to separate.

But follow the directions when you put things together. Manufacturers go to great lengths to find out and communicate the best way to use their product.

I am convinced that more gaskets are installed wrong than right. We always think we know more than the people who design, build and sell the stuff for a living. That's known as hubris, which leads to a fall.

R.

Last edited by dogdays; 04/09/15 04:21 PM.