Quote:

Good suggestions so far, except for the 440 talk, those guys must not have seen the part about the budget.

Anyway, changing the gears to 3;55 or 3:91, probably would help wake it up, but that's not happening. I'd say 90% of my driving is on the highway.
I live in a small town, and although driving around town with 3:91's would be fun, driving around town in Lyons takes about 5 minutes max.

It I want to go do something I either have to hit the highway for 15 miles to Boulder, or 12 miles to Longmont. I'm not going to do that with the engine screaming along at 3000rpm. So until I get an overdrive, steeper gears are out.

I always find it funny when highway (3000rpm) is defined as "screaming". The only reason you say that is you're used to modern 7 speed autos or OD equipped cars that trudge along under 2K at highway speeds. You already have 3.23s. Going to 3.91s will give you a lot more snap, and raise the cruise rpm about 400. In the 80s trucks would cruise at 3500 all day, with trailers and no overdrive. These engines were developed at a time when that was normal, and they were used that way every day. The issue is not entirely the engine - but your own nerves. I'd swap the gears and get a factory high-stall convertor and drvie the snot out of it.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.