Quote:

Quote:

Those heads on a 451 will run best at a higher rpm by a bunch. You might be losing a lot to bad valve springs and lousy valve control. A motor like yours shouldn't quit making power till well into the 7,000 rpm range. If you have very good rockers and pushrods, put some good springs on it and get a cam that has somewhere around 276 to 280 duration, 108 or slightly higher LSA, and .700+ lift. Isky has a RR735 grind that looks good on paper for your application. It has 280/288/110 duration numbers, .735/.684 lift numbers.
I have run this cam in my 528 and it pulled power past 7200 with a single four. If you cut your heads for some serious compression, (13+) this cam ought to make serious power. Put a 6,000 plus stall converter in front of it, and hang on.

I think we are on the same page here Greg. Big cam with small cubes is going to need more rpm. I think it has valvetrain instability, which will weaken the springs prematurely. Could be a combination of both at this point. I do think a smaller duration cam would help the bottom end some and avoid more gear and maybe get away with his current converter to get that 9 sec slip. It all comes back to whether or not he can turn the needed rpm without the motor laying down.

First off let me say Thanks for everyone input

Now new springs are n the upgrade list but just trying to figure out this cam deal, so I can get the right ones. the conv is out and will be sending it to UCC for a refreshing and talk to Lenny about spec change. PLEASE don't beat me to bad on this one but rocker are crane gold 1.5s

8420410-racephoto001.jpg (88 downloads)

71 demon stock stroke 440/indy ez-1 running 10.10 @ 132.14 mph in the 1/4 and 6.36 @ 107.46 mph in the 1/8 not in the same weekend but It did it then I sold it.
67 Belvedere that worked it's way in the 10's