Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dynomax ultraflows...has it all and is the number one choice in F.A.S.T. and PSMCDR for a reason....

Really...??? Thats telling right there.

Is this what the winners use? Dudek? all those 10 second guys?

But also, is there more to it? as in, perhaps with all that cam wizardry and exhaust limitations there might not be a need for the best flowing muffler out there? Probably not... seeing how much a 2.5" exhaust IS such a restriction on a 600+HP engine, but its still worth asking.

Yes, I've spoken to several of the front runners and that's the muffler they use.....and trust me, those guys exhaust (pun intended) EVERY avenue for increased performance possible. If there was another semi-stock appearing muffler that performed better, that's what they'd use.

The 2.5" exhaust is a restriction on the 800hp F.A.S.T. cars but the real restriction is the manifolds....which makes it even more important to use a low/no restriction muffler.

Dave

Back when I worked for Tenneco (Walker/Dynomax), we used to flow test everything - more mufflers than on this comparison list - this was back in 1999-2001. There are no Borlas or Magnaflows or Corsas in this list, so they are missing some biggies. Personally, I like the design of the Cherry Bomb Vortex internally, plus I heard a sound clip a few years ago that sounded really good to me. It's a good, free-flowing design internally with some sound absorption properties.

As far as the Dynomax, back when I worked for Tenneco I talked with Karakashian (I've known Bob for many years) one day about the exhaust for his Hemicuda. He was running a cheap set of old Thrush turbos & I told him to sh*tcan those & I sent him a set of "test" stainless Ultra Flows - 2.5". After he installed them, the car ran faster than ever so there was proof in the pudding - he's still running the same mufflers today, & from what I've seen, MANY of the Pure Stock Drag cars are running the Ultra Flows. NOTHING outflows them.

That being said, the Vortex muffler I talk about above is similar in design to something I've mulled over in my head for years & wanted to build, but I'm a tube-type muffler builder. If I was going to install an oval or box-type muffler right now, I'd go with the Vortex.

Yep, I spoke with Bob several times and he's one of the people that told me to use the Ultraflows. You are correct; nothing outflows them. Other PSMCDR guys have also documented the improvement going to the ultraflows and it is definitely measurable.
Funny, in the old days I sold a ton of Walker product when I worked for Lordco.

....but equally important to me (and the pure stock guys) is that the Ultraflow is roughly the same size and configuration as stock and in comparison to other mufflers that do flow as well, the Ultraflow is BY FAR the quietest. I've yet to see any other muffler that offers all three things: stock look, relatively low sound and low/no restriction.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]