some of you guys asked some really good questions, although if you go back through my first two posts on this topic so far you'll see that I already posted the answer.

Interesting thought regarding pulley sizes... it's the stock pulleys, they don't look any different than any other set of Chrysler small block pulleys that I have... and I have literally dozens of engines and twice as many parts in boxes (I have my own little Mopar junkyard with about 50 vehicles along with whole engines and tons of random parts stashed away). Interesting thought though, even though they look ordinary I believe I will take a measurement to verify the diameter. Why not, I've done everything else.

See, it bothers me that this is going on. I've driven Chrysler v8's hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles with a 3 speed automatic and factory cooling systems. Before I got my diesel, I towed cars through over a dozen states at full highway speed with my 440/727 truck. When we moved from St Louis to NC I drove a 67 NYer with a 440/727 back and forth three times at full highway speed. Just a couple of stories, point is they weren't stymied by today's fuel or less than perfect conditions or anything else. A gol-durned stock 318 with every blooming part on it replaced and every blooming tuning setting quadruple checked shouldn't even come close to having this problem. An 85 318 should continue to purr away after a direct nuclear strike. What the heck is going on here.