Quote:

From what you described with the ABS and Park Brake Light on, I would be checking your brakeswitch (up at the pedal under dash). They are usually problematic on these trucks all the way up to the present. Little plastic gizmo about $20 and 2 seconds to change it out.

The brakeswitch is also the trigger to unlock the torque converter when you are rolling up to a stop so that it doesn't kill the engine by being locked up.

Hope this makes sense to you, the faulty brakeswitch is making the truck think it's rolling down the highway with the torque converter locked up. That's why it dies when you pull it into gear.

That's where I'd start.........

In a word, no, that's not how it works. The PCM uses the vehicle speed sensor and the throttle position sensor to determine lockup. Bad sealing rings or a bad converter will cause it to lock up when put in gear.

Now why that truck only has a 3 speed is beyond me but I know they were made. First things first, do a compression test, figure out the miss first before you go any farther. Get back to us on that.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.