Quote:

The pickup tube is quite long and the threads where it goes into the block are a pretty bad stress riser. With vibration from the engine running, the tube fatigues and snaps off right at the block. The answer to this is to support the pickup tube to eliminate the flexing.
Mopar engineers were very good at finding cheap ways to do things. Supporting the other end of the pickup tube with the oil pan was one of them.

Somehow, you must support that tube.

R.

I've seen this happen twice in my life. After the first time over 30 years ago I started paying attention to the threads on the pickup. Some seem to have rolled threads and the end of the thread is smooth, no stress riser. Others seem to have cut threads and the end of the thread ends in more of a 'crack' forming a stress riser. I've started polishing the end of the thread on these with a Dremel to get rid of what might be a future problem. Maybe I'm paranoid but one of the failures that I'm aware of happened at the top of third gear with spectacular results that I really don't want happening to me.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".