Quote:

The OE style pickup has a "shoe" that touches and establishes clearance for flow into the screen. Some aftermarket have the "shoe" and some don't.

If you have the shoe type it is supposed to touch. I certainly believe it has worked fine for many with the clearance. Still I have heard cases where vibration broke the pickup. Not pretty. Stories were on MOPARTs so they must be true... right? Personally, I would re-do it or have the shop re-do it. Plus you get every last bit of pan capacity.

I belive that a lot of the broken off oil pickups where after market pieces, like Milidon and Moroso, that cracked and broke off, not the stock OEM Mopar ones I've been into many, many stock Mopar V8, 273 through 426 street Hemi to U and V code 440 cars that had the pickups either on the bottom of the oil pan from the factory, seeing the witness marks in the bottom of the pan, or they where close enough to not allow the oil dipstick to be inserted sideways through the oil drain hole to clear the bottom of the pickup and pan BTW, for all you that didn't buy your original Mopar muscle cars new there was a service bulletin issued in the late 1960 to tell all customers to add one additonial quart of oil to all cars with the 402 oil pans with the stock windage trays, IE the 1966 to 1971 Magnum or Hi Po 440 and 383 production wedges OP, run that oilpan with 5 quarts, not 4

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)