Quote:

The grille would obviously get blocked. But i'd just put something simple and non-stock looking up there. ANY attempts at trying to gain aero there and even remotely look stock would be an abject failure, and would certainly look worse than a plain plate. Thats a drastic mod on a sexy car... i guarantee you it'd look awful.

I also wonder what the top speed difference would be with that mod and without on these particularly bad cars (Challenger, Charger). If it was worth 15+mph i think it'd be worth it, if it was more like 8, i think i'd leave it open personally. Looks count for something in my build.

I dunno, it really depends on how you approach this on what the results will look like. The 72-74 Challenger grills are a step up in aero because they are not recessed. If you created something that looked more like a '72 Charger that was more forward with a more closed layout, then backed up the ribs with mesh, you can have a grill that looks OEM that has improved aero.
That's were digging on aero info may give you an idea. I'm sure there is detailed info on what the changes from standard Charger to 500 were for the grill change. Challenger is similar in size and layout and may be similar in potential gains.

Even the Nascar boys got big gains from closed mesh screens mounted flush. They allow just enough airflow though them to avoid overheating, but push the majority of the air around them.