Years and years ago, in Hotrod magazine there was a 'speed' theme one month. They had a surprisingly stock-ish 68 Charger.... all black and mean as hell looking. Think it was on the cover? That one also had an article on Big Red (69 Camaro), and the Silver State Classic race.

I cant seem to find my copy anywhere, and it was probably the most read Hotrod i ever bought.

I do remember that car supposedly went 190mph, with an iron 440 that made 'only' 505HP. 4-speed and 8 3/4" with 2.76 gears. It had a few very subtle aero mods, nothing at all outlandish or funny looking, and it ran stock car 15"s with slicks.

Does this sound right? Gonna ask the racers here finally. An all-iron 440 (ported heads, Team G intake, compression, etc.) and 505HP running close to 200 in a brick like that? Sure... they had the grille blocked off, but still... It wasn't super low either. 190mph with 2.76 gears and 28" tires?

Building my super-welfare/Mad-Max cheap Challenger out here, i haven't been able to stop wondering about this car, and what they did on so little (technologically speaking... LOTS ov stock OEM design in that car). Anyone here actually know that car? or the guys that built it?