Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This brings up a good question. A 70 model year JS23(RT) with A63, does the one pc. rear/tail Panel Astrotone Moulding remain textured Argent or is it blacked out? If it does remain textured argent, then does the grill remain textured argent to match the rear panel or black like a regular RT with out A63? Seen them restored both ways. Which is correct?

Quote:

I believee tail panel piece is always textured argent regardless of whether the car is an R/T or not. Only the grille comes argent(non R/T) or black(R/T and T/A).

Quote:

That's what I've always seen and believed. And IIRC, the parts book only has one p/n for it. If it came argent and black there would be two p/n's.

In 1970, the challenger R/T cars did Not have a blacked out tailpanel, so there was no reason to offer a blacked out A63 trim piece. A 1970 Challenger R/T with A63 will use an astrotone panel. There has been some discussion about different shades of astrotone, but I believe this to be a production variation, not something that was done intentionaly. astrotone doesn't really match the grill argent, it's a bit darker.

Tav

Sorry guys, I know it's not the popular opinion but my first Challenger which I bought in 1974 was an R/T SE & the tail panel was black... Can I prove the original owner didn't paint it? No.. But my uncle was the original owner of another R/T SE & it too had a black rear panel.... The rear panel on my challenger was hammered when I bought the car in 74 so I pulled the panel & replaced it... Tossed the original in the rafters of the garage... It was still there when I first saw this question was posted back around 04 & I pulled it down & checked it out.. Definately black but textured not like the astrotone but more like orginsol (sp).... I offered to send it to Ken but he had no interest because he had already made up his mind & didn't want evidence that he could be wrong..Oh when that thread was running there were probably six or seven posters who had owned R/T S.E's that said their cars had black panels dating back to at least the early eighties..I've seen the there's no part number argument before & there are dozens of other parts with out special numbers... Do they not exsist too? Anyone ever fine a part number for the molded brake booster vacuum hose? Or don't those exsist?

You can add me to the list. My R/T SE I had in 81 had a black back and my current R/T SE has a black back.