Quote:

OK, got it running pretty well. I was even able to hot start it without too much trouble. It was running long enough that eventually I ran out of gas.

Once I got it running, initial timing was 26 degrees. Plate in the distributor is 13 so x 2 = 26. I remember now when I got it a few years ago I checked the timing and being surprised where it was at. Looked like almost 30 on the OE damper. Makes sense now.

As stated, I went to a hotter plug and it seemed to help a little. They were still getting a little carboned while fiddling with the idle but nowhere near as bad. I checked them at one point, no carbon at all. At least it was running and I was able to restart it.

A/F ratio was between 12.5-13 at idle. Seems like the A/F ratio is really sensitive to the idle mixture screws/throttle blades. Seems like a 1/4 turn can move the meter almost one point either way. With no load seems like the best throttle response is around 12.5. I'd like it to be leaner but I have not actually driven it yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. Took some doing to get to this basic point but I've learned some things for sure. I admit, I'm kind of a rookie at tuning. I was a tech for a while but I never dealt with carbs or distributors when I was working. I know it ain't rocket science but it can get confusing when you're chasing multiple issues.

Probably be back asking about bogs and hesitations soon.

Cool.. your getting there... I never worry about the
AFR at idle... I set it so it idles the best it can
and set the WOT to the best MPH... I only use my AFR
to set the cruise... but once I get all the points
dialed in(idle, wot and cruise) I take a reading so
I can get back to it fairly easy.... and yes the mixture
screws can be touchy with how much you move them..
what I do is once its warmed up.. slowly turn in
one at a time till the rpm starts to drop then back
them out 1/4 turn... go around the carb a couple of
time to get it right... you might be lowering the
curb idle(the idle screw) during this process but
do it all a few times and it'll come right in... but
the base timing is what you have to set FIRST.. thats
a MUST