OK, got it running pretty well. I was even able to hot start it without too much trouble. It was running long enough that eventually I ran out of gas.

Once I got it running, initial timing was 26 degrees. Plate in the distributor is 13 so x 2 = 26. I remember now when I got it a few years ago I checked the timing and being surprised where it was at. Looked like almost 30 on the OE damper. Makes sense now.

As stated, I went to a hotter plug and it seemed to help a little. They were still getting a little carboned while fiddling with the idle but nowhere near as bad. I checked them at one point, no carbon at all. At least it was running and I was able to restart it.

A/F ratio was between 12.5-13 at idle. Seems like the A/F ratio is really sensitive to the idle mixture screws/throttle blades. Seems like a 1/4 turn can move the meter almost one point either way. With no load seems like the best throttle response is around 12.5. I'd like it to be leaner but I have not actually driven it yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. Took some doing to get to this basic point but I've learned some things for sure. I admit, I'm kind of a rookie at tuning. I was a tech for a while but I never dealt with carbs or distributors when I was working. I know it ain't rocket science but it can get confusing when you're chasing multiple issues.

Probably be back asking about bogs and hesitations soon.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500