Just to be clear, the car will run and actually seems to run OK, just intermittently. I believe the hard starting issue is what's causing the plug fouling.

Maybe I'm incorrect but I am not overly concerned about mechanical problems like a bad valve. When it does run, I don't really hear much in the way of any ticks or a miss or anything like that. The valves probably need to be lashed but I'd rather get it running consistently before I do that. Still could be hanging up but I've seen cars run sort of OK where a valve isn't even touching the seat.

I could be wrong but I would think that from the fact that it is capable of running that the pickup wires are correct. I also double and triple checked the coil wires from the MSD according to their wiring diagram - orange to +, black to ground. If I take the coil wire off the cap and crank it to fill the bowls or something, I get a good, blue spark.

The main issue I am having is getting it started consistently, having it stay running and not foul plugs.

I'm in NY, it's still pretty cold out, I'm thinking this may have something to do with it but not too much. Regardless, it's still way too rich to the point of plug fouling. I believe the carb is spitting because it's flooded, not backfiring because of timing.

I would like to switch out the carb for a known good one, I might try to make that happen. I don't have another one that would work at the moment, only a TQ and no adapter.

Float level seems correct. According to Quick Fuel who makes the Proform carbs, fuel should be halfway up the sight glass @ 6.5 psi. That's what I got. Have the pink pump cam on #2 to delay the shot a little. Power valve is a 4.5. Only in front, blocked in back. The throttle blades are closed to where the transfer slot is a little square. They're the same front and back.

I went to the parts store and got another set of plugs (#6) but I went hotter to an RC12YC. Gonna gap them to .050". Battery is charged up. Temp is about 50 degrees and drizzling rain.

Sorry for the long response. Thanks for the replies.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500