Its not that I dont want to shift with the tach its just something I guess that comes natural to some of us gearheads I guess. I usually only look at the tach going thru the traps and listen to see if the eng feels wrung out yet.I guess if I was a every weekend bracket racer I would use the tach more trying to be more consisdent but it just seems to me I can tell when its time to shift. I keep telling myself to take a day at a T & T and make alot of passes making myself shift at many different rpm's and see if my way lets the car run its fastest. I remember in the early 70's when I saw a smallblock Pro Stock Vega in a SS & DI mag that was Dave Stricklers car and he built it with no tach in the car as he said he shifted without using the tach. And I guess when I hear people on here ask what rpm they should start shifting their new eng at I think.........I would not need to ask that as I can just feel when its shift time with the eng wide open and the go pedal mashed to the floor. My buddy ask's me how I can hear the sound of my eng with the full exh on my car and racing next to cars with open headers and I tell him I dont know as its a combination of hearing and feeling how the eng is pulling. I mean I feel as if I could jump in any car and race it and never look at a tach. My brother always gets mad at me when he ask's me where I shift at and I tell him I really dont know as I just shift when it feels right. I must do somethink ok as years ago I raced my 4-speed 340 Dart with no tach and no rev limiter and I never over reved it or blew the eng. My brother used that old Mallory rev limiter from the early 70's that was about 500 rpm off and he told me I was nuts racing it with no rev limiter on it. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 12/29/13 01:37 PM.