Quote:

Would a cog belt system be the answer or is there a reason why I don't see it being commonly used?
In all the pics I see of these setups it appears the blower hangs a long ways away from the motor- like out to the fender aprons- is there a reason why it's out there so far?

Biggest 2 problems is clearance in front of the engine and COST of the pulleys and Belt.

I've been working on a Cog drive for mine (off & on) and a 55mm pulley adds 2.5-3 inches to the front of the engine at the crank and everywhere else you need a pulley. As well as the S/C itself.

The Belts are pricey if you don't know where to go. Usually $150+ each through the usual suppliers. I got mine for $80 through a local Industrial Supply house. Took Vortech's Base P/N and cross referenced it through Gate's own belt finder and got the Length I needed which was a Little longer than what Vortech had to offer.

Reason you see many of them hanging out the side is most Bracket kits were made for an application that accommodated full accessories. and May not have even been for that particular motor. Or even the route I thought I was going to have to go and move the S/C out to accommodate the length of the available belts.