I work for the largest mfg of automotive/architectural of paint in the world. (ok that and a $1 buys you a cup of coffee) but let me shed some light on this subject if I can.

A lot of good ideas listed and some of you are fairly correct about your ideas.

Paint cans do not put out content with the "volume solids" that other ways of application can. Its the other items contained in that can of spray that enhance its shelf life and ability to spray,that come into play. Some very flammable contents involved. Look at the contents on that label. These content take up space in that can.

Spray cans put on a much lighter volume of true paint (final product that remains after everything else evaporates away from the surface)
When you buy any gallon of paint per se to put on your wall, only 30% to 40% is what actually remains after the other things evaporate. Its the titanium dioxide content that makes for coverage.

At any rate back to "spray bombs" They go on easily yes, look good sure, and they will harden considerably if baked as explained above. But many people try to use spray bombs on too large a circumference(frames etc) and while they look good, they wont hold up as well as a mix and cure epoxy or urethane. Some enamels that are higher in volume solids do a better job. However many of these enamels and spray bombs things dull down, fade, even give you that white out (cloudy) effect when using deep tone or black base products.

Spray bombs can be beneficial. Worldwide sales of $4 plus billion in that market segment tells you that, and for the mfg spray bombs are quite lucrative. Why? For the total amount of real finish coat in a spray bomb, which isn't much there is a nice profit. Nice profit.

Spray bombs are I think are good on smaller parts, parts than can be baked, parts that are on the car everything else cannot be taped off. Ever notice how a lot of car enthusiast are touching up their front suspension parts with spray bombs? Its like a woman getting perm, looks good for awhile but goes away in time. Rust and other outside outside chemicals, solvents, salt etc make their way thru spray can products at a much higher rate than other higher solids coatings.

Description: cid:image010.jpg@01CE0238.A7E85B50Industries

"Bringing Innovation To The Surface"